24 HOURS IN GARDONE RIVIERA
On the western shore of Italy's largest lake, Lake Garda, you'll find Gardone Riviera—considered a genuine "botanical garden" where the vegetation of Lake Garda blends with Central European, Mediterranean and sub-tropical plant species. Gardone Riviera offers its guests a striking lakefront boulevard that hosts cultural events and famous Vittoriale degli Italiani, the walled-residence of poet Gabriele d’Annunzio.
The Isola del Garda estate of “Villa Borghese Cavazza,” dating back to 1422, is located in Gardone Riviera on the largest lake in Italy—Lake Garda in Brescia, Lombardy. This privately-owned home is open to the public for tours from March-October.
With over 100,000 square feet you'll find botanical species from all over the world, from the Alps to Himalayas, from Mato Grosso to New Zealand, from Japan to Australia, from Canada to Africa. "This is the most luxurious botanical garden in Italy and it’s so rich that it cannot be summarized in a visit and changes skin every year and every season." —Proprietor André Heller, Giardino Botanico Fondazione
With five splendid dining options, Il Fagiano is the feather in the Grand Hotel Fasano's cap. Chef Matteo Felter gives full rein to his creativity, revisiting the lake region's traditional cuisine to create a subtle and thoroughly modern interplay of flavors. Thanks to the verdant grounds, azure lake and fragrant flowers, this is a feast for all the senses, not just the palate.
Favorites included Filet of Smoked Trout with potato crème and caviar and for dessert—a decadent selection of fresh gelato with flavors like limoncello and tangerine.
With an elevation of nearly 5,200 feet, Pre-Alp Monte Pizzòcolo sits along the eastern shore of Lake Garda. This is an excellent climbing and hiking destination with panoramic views extending as far as the Adamello Group and Appennines.
When someone is "blowing smoke up your arse,” it’s a figure of speech meaning one person is complimenting another in order to inflate their ego. But in this case, it’s extremely sincere flattery by means of a handcrafted cocktail within Bar La Terrazza at Grand Hotel Fasano.
Built as a hunting lodge for the Austrian imperial family in 1888, Grand Hotel Fasano combines the elegance of historic architecture with the latest in comfort and luxury. With an enchanting lakeside location, the grounds are reflected in the lake—seemingly suspended above the surface of the water.
Elegant accommodations are designed for the most discerning guests.
At the historic five-star Grand Hotel Fasano, luxury is about the little things. A window with views of Lake Garda, a dish prepared with passion and served with a smile. You'll feel right at home as soon as you open the door.
WHAT YOU’LL LOVE
1. BREAKFAST ROOM SERVICE (in your suite or private lake view terrace). Try the Eggs Benedict. For a healthy alternative, substitute with avocado and smoked salmon. A perfect pairing with a fresh-squeezed mimosa.
2. THE BEST LOCATION. Directly on Lake Garda, it's a prime locale for sunrise, sunset and all around relaxation.
3. TAKE A PLUNGE. In addition to a Lake Garda plunge, Aveda Aqva Spa offers sensitively chosen treatments, as well as a hot tub and pool that restore this equilibrium and provide a unique sensory experience.
1. Tee time. Some of Northern Italy's most renowned golf courses, such as Gardagolf and Arzaga, are just a short distance away from Grand Hotel Fasano.
2. Seas the day. Grand Hotel Fasano offers guests an exclusive skippered rental service. Grab a bottle of chilled champagne and take a luxurious Frauscher luxury boat across Lake Garda.
3. Pedals up. Lake Garda is famous for its cleverly designed cycling trails. Scott mountain bike rentals are available at the hotel. Enjoy breathtaking scenery and an unforgettable sense of freedom.