24 HOURS IN MONTEBELLO
Historic Montebello, Québec positioned on the banks of the Ottawa River, is a delightful retreat of countryside, riverside and forest.
The circa 1848 Manoir Papineau overlooks the Ottawa River, the defining border between Ontario and Québec provinces.
For seasonal dishes rooted in French tradition, look no further than Aux Chantignoles, led by Chef de Cuisine Hugo Lavoie-Drouin. Some of our favorites included...
Chef Hugo's signature dish: Cornish Game Hen and Pan Seared Foie Gras sitting atop crisp pear tarte tatin. Not only was the plating on point and full of color, the taste of the Cornish Game Hen was absolutely remarkable—which is no wonder this exquisite dish has been entered into the Global Chefs Challenge, with finals being held in Malaysia.
Read more about Chef de Cuisine Hugo Lavoie-Drouin and Aux Chantignoles in our Taste column.
Now boarding: Do tie up on the banks of the Ottawa River at the Montebello Yacht Club and enjoy the hospitality of the famed log chateau. Left your yacht at home? No problem! Boat rentals are available, including kayaks and stand up paddle boards.
Do take the Land Rover for a spin. With 65,000 acres of unspoiled nature, you're perfectly positioned to navigate the technical woodland obstacles, as well as catch a possible moose sighting.
Soak up the rustically luxurious ambiance by enjoying a refreshing glass of wine or a handcrafted cocktail from Bar Le Foyer while relaxing in front of the massive hexagon-shaped stone fireplace—which anchors the historic lobby of the world's largest log cabin.
For a true Canadian experience, check-in to Fairmont Le Château Montebello. Historically founded as a private club in 1930, the world's largest log cabin holds the privilege of hosting many political figures, royalty and celebrities.
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE
1. BREAKFAST ROOM SERVICE (with a view of the Ottawa River). Try the Eggs Benedict and for a healthy addition add a fresh smoothie!
2. SMILING FACES EVERYWHERE YOU TURN. Stop by the concierge desk for a resort map.
3. THE BEST LOCATION. You're surrounded by nature's bounty in the heart of Montebello village.
1. Download the Fairmont app! With its destination guide you can learn more about the area around your hotel, find events and shopping and even get walking directions.
2. Walk. Explore Montebello on foot, all the way down to the Ottawa River. There's so much to see and do on the resort grounds.
3. Bring Porter! Take advantage of the surrounding wilderness with your pet. During your stay, you're provided with a complimentary food bowl and cage, plus dog sitting services (fee).